Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Asian Politician


30liublog1

Asians in politics is a rarity. First, a sad truth- not many Asian Americans care enough to partake in the system. Second, even if they are interested, it's nearly impossible to break through the race barrier. Enter John Liu.

After winning the democratic run-off for City Comptroller last week, Liu is poised and heavily favorited to win the general election this election day. If he does pull out the victory, he'd be the first Asian American to be elected into public service in the New York. Quite a feat if you ask me, considering the only other elected Asian officials I know of are all based in California. Should I vote based on race? No, probably not- but it certainly nudges me to do more research on Liu and his republican opponent Joe Mendola. (Newsday)


No comments: