Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My 90210 Quickie Review

90210 new cast

Back in the early 1990s when the much younger version of me arrived in America, a few things got me off the boat and settled into the "American" lifestyle. One of them was daily reruns of 'Beverly Hills, 90210', it's sad but it's true. I then proceed to follow this then-groundbreaking series until it's cancellation in 2000, once again sad but true. I've seen the old favorites come and go and come back again (Luke Perry), new characters that stuck around long enough before moving on to better things (Hilary Swank) and some characters that changed hairstyles more often than I change underwear (Tori Spelling), so when I heard initally the CW was going to revived the series into a spinoff, I was a little psyched how this younger and more exposed generation of viewers will adapted and accept my favorite TV zip code and to see myself how much things changed for high school on TV.

To be honest, the pilot episode was hardly a spinoff. If anything, it's a remake of the original series with a few old favorites coming back. The high profiled series debut took no time to induce heavy drama. Within 30 minutes, we've a girl catching her old frame receiving oral sex in a car, an adopted brother taking revenge on his fellow teammate but using his own sister and a blogger trashing the new girl in school- this is all before I could even remember who's who. That is one thing I believe this show is going to have to trim down on... the amount of characters it has to juggle on its plate- especially if they intend to continuously throw Kelly Taylor back in the story loop.

No doubt the breakout star here is Shenae Grimes (Sorry Tristan!). Not only does she have the most screen time, Grimes mastered the the entire 'New Girl in Beverly Hills' look pretty well. Will I watch again? Sure, but it's on thin-ice... except for you Kelly, you're in thick water (?).

No comments: