Monday, June 1, 2009

My 'Frog Cooker'


T

It's astonishing to me that Hong Kong's chief executive, Donald Tsang, would denounced Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989 as "something that happened a long time ago", it's best forget about it and this view "represents most of the Hong Kong people." Not only does the ever-growing negative communist influence my birth city is taking from China make me sick to my stomach, the idea of banning something that happened just 20 years(!) ago in media and education systems while everyone knows it undoubtedly occurred is so mind-boggling I wonder if what Tsang said about the Hong Kong people is true. I mean, I still remembering holding my parents' hands during demonstration marches that followed the incidents. 

Perhaps Martin Lee, the founder of the Hong Kong Democratic Party said it best- "If you throw a frog into boiling water, it will jump out right away. But if you put the frog in warm water and cook it slowly, it doesn't jump. We are being slowly cooked in Hong Kong, but hardly anyone is noticing it." (NYT)

No comments: