Thursday, November 20, 2008

My 1958 Buffalo Bulls

eticket_buffalo_skirmish

Yes, I said the Bulls. 

ESPN's Outside The Lines usually showcases uplifting stories from sports history as a retrospective for the current generation of sports fanatics. While I use to think their niche is tiresome, I'll admit I've come around to adoring the '60 Minutes' of sports programming. In their latest installment, they tell the story of the 1958 Bulls from the University of Buffalo. 

I'll leave the elegant storytelling up to the experts, but the school declined their only invitation to a bowl game in 102 years because at the time the Orlando High School Athletic Association prohibited black players to be on the same field as white players. Since then, the University of Buffalo has not been invited to any bowl game because they haven't been eligible to play in one to the lack of wins needed to qualify.

Check out the rest of the top notch reporting over here

No comments: