Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Music Meme


My words fumble more so than usual when talking about music. It's just that I usually don't know what to say due to my weak knowledge of the genre- either that, or I'm simply embarrassed by my preferences because they're usually pretty generic. Either way, I believe it's time to take a step out of my box and reveal all the cheesy goodness when it comes to my iTunes. Thanks for Andrew for giving me that extra push over the ledge.

1. Hit shuffle on your iTunes, what's the first song to play?
'Back 2 Good' by Matchbox Twenty. Okay, this one wasn't too bad. There are definitely worse things that could've played.

2. Name Your Top Five Musicians/Bands of All-Time.
Okay, here is where it starts to go south. I'm going with the every four years approach on this question. Starting at the age of 7 until now, I'll list my favorite artist for every four year span. I was obsessed with New Kids on the Block or NKOTB as they were later known when I was 7-11 From middle school (mid-90s), I couldn't get enough of Mariah Carey. Oh, how I miss the Mariah of old. Onto high school where I somehow avoided the grunge era and won't with the goodness that was Third Eye Blind. 'Jumper' still get plenty of hits on my iPod. In college (early 00s), you throw in the first beats of any Beyonce song and I'll be ready to go and post college, well... it's tricky, I guess my favorite artist to come out of the last four years is the Gaga.

3. What was the first 8 track/record/CD/cassette/MP3 you own?
The thought that there are some kids out there that will never own even a CD is horrifying. I always liked physically holding my music and I physically held the Backstreet Boys' debut album first. Yes, I'm on Team BSB.

4. Of all the bands/artists in your collection, which one do you own the most albums by?
Going with longevity, The Beatles. That's probably because they were around the longest.

5. What was the last song you listened to?

6. What song sums you up?
None. It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I could feel like Tubthumping, some other times I feel like Stayin' Alive, or listening to Music of the Night... and on rare occasions, I feel like One Less Lonely Girl.

7. What's your favorite local band or band that originated from your area?
Oh boy, the choices for a Brooklyn-ite are endless. Let's go the hipster and indie route and say Here We Go Magic. They're probably not my favorite band ever to come out of this fine borough, but they're certainly on my mind.

8. What's the greatest concert you've ever been to?
Yikes. I haven't been to a concert in ages and honestly, none of the ones I've been to before can qualify as "the greatest".

9. Which musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
Adam Guettel and I would have plenty to talk about. He'll do most of the talking since I'm curious as to how someone can write such a beautiful composition and lyrics to go along with it.

10. What was the greatest decade for the music?
I love the '90s probably because that's when I came out of my shell. Besides that, I'm in love with '20s jazz.

11. What is your favorite music soundtrack?
Finally, a question I'm not struggling to answer.

12. What the worst CD/album you've ever bought?
How I regret purchasing Aqua's album.

13. What your favorite band/artist t-shirt or poster?
I used to love Bebo Norman 'Big Blue Sky' t-shirt.

14. Rolling Stones or The Beatles?
Even I can tell this is another easy one.

15. What is the one song you'd like to be played during your funeral, birthday and a date?
I'm going to go with some recent showtunes for all three.

Funeral: That's right bitches, I'll be coming back to haunt ya'll.

Birthday: I love me some cheesy dance party.

Date: Perfect description of a much anticipated date, minus the prancing around.


The surprising thing is how the three are interchangeable.

2 comments:

Walter L. Hollmann said...

BSB 4EVA! And wow, New Kids on the Block? I remember my sister recorded one of their TV appearances when we were younger. Also on that tape was an episode of Maxie's World. So funny. So, so funny.

Andrew K. said...

You Can't Stop the Beat is just so much fun. You make the list sound like it'll be bad...and Moulin Rouge is a good choice...but Back Street over 'N' Sync? NEVER.