Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Enchanted Evening


Ohara2190

I've been wanting to check out the new revival of 'Rodger and Hammerstein's South Pacific' ever since I heard Bartlett Sher will be directing Kelli O'Hara and Matthew Morrison again after 2006's 'The Light In The Piazza', the show that got me head over heels for Broadway. And tonight, I finally got to go. Although it's not as romantic and lavish as 'Piazza', 'South Pacific' offered a much different variation of love, the social acceptance of it. Just like any other production in The Vivian Beaumont at Lincoln Center, this production was a feast for the eyes. 

As for O'Hara and Morrison, who shared only two scenes, the energy between them can felt even in silence even when their characters are not supposed to be romantically linked. When is someone going to cast them again in a full blown production as star-crossed lovers!? There was even a scene when Morrison began the sing, I was completely expecting him to sing the first verse of 'Love To Me' from 'Piazza'.  Both his and O'Hara's performances only confirmed to me that I need to catch everything else they're going to do on stage. 

No comments: